It is a very easy to prepare recipe. My father did me sometimes in the pan when I was a child and I had sore throat. I remember seeing you in the kitchen with the wooden spoon removes and preparing some liquid caramel. He always picked a glob leaving that you fall into a ball on a plate covered with baking paper to make a huge homemade candy that I was eating it throughout the afternoon. Even I was very happy to have sore throat because I always received a candy that I was required to eat.
In addition to be able to use the recipe to sore throat (It is also a good remedy for hoarseness), you can be used to accompany some of your desserts, for example the flan or some pancakes made for a special breakfast weekend. You kids love this recipe and, if you’re a romantic, this recipe is a pretty detail.
You will not take anything time to prepare caramel and this recipe like all the people. It is worth to spend the 5 minutes to make the recipe rather than spend the money to buy caramel. The flavor is better and your caramel has not food additives, colorings as well as preservatives. If you want to know how to make caramel, read the next post. Let´s go!
What do you need for How to make caramel?
Recipe for 2 people
- Elaboración: easy
- Dificultad: low
- Precio: cheaper
We will need the following ingredients
- 100 g of white sugar. If you want that flavor will be less sweet, you can use brown sugar.
- 100 ml water.
- Some juice organic Lemon or vinegar if you don’t have any lemon at home.
Instructions for How to make caramel
Step by step elaboration
- The proportions between the water and the sugar always have to be equivalent. If you want to do more caramel, you should always use measures in proportion and increase the amount of juice. If you want less caramel, it reduces the ingredients in proportion too.
- On a cutting board, cut a lemon in half and reserve it.
- Meanwhile, heat a pan over medium heat. When the pan is hot, lower the heat, add the water and going adding the sugar gradually and stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. In this way, we will avoid the mixture sticking to the pan and burn. We will see how, in a few minutes, the sugar will dissolve in the water and begins to adquire a roasted tone and a thick texture. Bubbles come out while you are cooking it. Don’t worry, it’s normal.
- When both ingredients have been mixed, we will only have to add a few drops of lemon juice. Squeeze the juice of one half of the lemon you’ve cut over the pan and stirring with the spoon. You can replace it with vinegar. In any case do not use much, because the caramel hardens.
- After about 3 minutes, or when the mixture purchase the thickness that we like, remove the mixture from the heat. We must be careful not to keep it to excessive heat. The caramel should never toasted. If the mixture becomes dark we burned the caramel and its flavor will be very bitter. We can serve it directly on our dessert.
Tips for How to make caramel
Some last minutes tips
If you’re an imaginative person, you can fun with this sauce. As did my father on a plate, where we created a huge candy, you can use your imagination to create candy figures to decorate your desserts.
To make candy figures only need oven paper and a few molds with fun shapes. Any cookie cutter can serve you for this trick. Place the cookie cutter on the paper and put into the sauce. It extends the sauce with the wooden spoon and leave to cool. When the caramel is dry and cold, you can remove the cookie cutter carefully and separate the caramel of the paper. You’ll see that caramel has the form that you have chosen. You can use it as a decoration in your cakes and puddings. Fun, right?
I recommend you to use the caramel on a homemade flan recipe.